(muh-SAZH THAYR-uh-pee) A treatment in which the soft tissues of the body are kneaded, rubbed, tapped, and stroked. Massage therapy may help people relax, relieve stress and pain, lower blood pressure, and improve circulation.
What is the meaning of a massage therapist?
: a person who practices massage therapy : a trained individual who is licensed or certified to therapeutically manipulate the muscles and other soft tissues of the body using one or both hands or an instrument Claire, a licensed massage therapist, has written a complete guide to assessing a wide range of therapeutic …
What is the purpose of massage therapy?
Promotes Muscle Relaxation: The purpose of massage therapy is to target the source of the body’s pain via eliminating tense muscles, increasing flexibility, and providing relaxation to the affected muscles as well as the body as a whole.
What does massage therapy include?
Massage therapy (including myotherapy) is the practice of kneading or manipulating a person’s muscles and other soft-tissue in order to improve their wellbeing or health. It is a form of manual therapy that includes holding, moving, and applying pressure to the muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia.
What happens during massage therapy?
In all massages, the therapist lubricates the skin with massage oil and performs various massage strokes that warm and work muscle tissue, releasing tension and breaking up muscle “knots” or adhered tissues, called adhesions. This promotes relaxation, eases muscle tension, and creates other health benefits.
What are the benefits of massage?
Massage benefits can include:
- Reducing stress and increasing relaxation.
- Reducing pain and muscle soreness and tension.
- Improving circulation, energy and alertness.
- Lowering heart rate and blood pressure.
- Improving immune function.
What is a lady massage?
Definitions of masseuse. a female massager. type of: massager. someone who rubs or kneads parts of the body to stimulate circulation and promote relaxation.
What are the 5 benefits of massage?
5 Health Benefits of Therapeutic Massage
- Massage reduces muscle pain and soreness. …
- Massage relieves stress and anxiety. …
- Massage can help you sleep better. …
- Massage can improve your immune function. …
- Massage can increase your flexibility and range of motion.
Is massage necessary for body?
A massage stimulates your nervous system; wakes up your muscles, organs, and glands; moves blood and lymph fluid, and gets multitudes of cells to produce and release chemicals and hormones. Your body needs a massage to renew itself and reverse the effects of stress.
Does massage therapy actually work?
From easing muscle soreness after exercise to reducing stress, dozens of studies—stretching back several decades—have linked massage with real physical and psychological benefits. One Australian study found that a 10-minute muscle massage after a workout could reduce soreness by 30%.
What are the 4 types of massage?
4 Common Types Of Massage Therapy
- Swedish massage. Swedish massage is one of the best known and widely practiced varieties. …
- Deep tissue and trigger point therapy. …
- Sports massage therapy. …
- Cupping therapy. …
- Professional massage therapy in Amarillo, Texas.
What is a massage person called?
“Masseuse” is a French word that refers to a female who practices massage. (Males in the industry were known as “masseurs.”) However, due to certain unsavory connotations with the term (as well as the need for more gender neutral terminology), “massage therapist” is preferred.
What are the side effects of massage therapy?
Most Common Side Effects
- Lingering Pain. Due to the pressurised techniques used in a deep tissue massage, some people have suffered from some version of pain during and/or after their therapy session. …
- Headaches/Migraines. …
- Fatigue or Sleepiness. …
- Inflammation. …
How are massages done?
A 60 minute full body massage typically starts with a head & scalp massage to get you relaxed. Then, they will work the neck and shoulders, move on to each arm, and work their way to the legs & feet. Next, you will flip around on the massage table and they will work on the back of the legs and potentially the glutes.
Do you talk during a massage?
Is it okay to talk during a massage? Yes it is, as the client you can choose to converse with your therapist whenever you want. If you want to talk, feel chatty or just want to be heard it can be an important part of the letting go process.
How do you prepare for a massage?
4 Ways to Be Prepared for Your Massage
- Hydrate Before and After An Appointment. Make sure you are hydrated before you go to your massage appointment and prepared to drink plenty of water following your appointment. …
- Wear Loose Comfortable Clothing. …
- Breath Normally. …
- Don’t Be Afraid to Communicate.