Massage is a great way to alleviate pain and increase blood flow to the injured area. For less serious injuries, do your own massage at home. If the ankle is too painful, consult a qualified massage therapist.
How long should you rest a twisted ankle?
The amount of time it takes for an ankle sprain to heal depends on the severity of the injury. In general, it will take a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks and up to 6 months for an ankle sprain to heal.
How do you fix a sprained ankle at home?
- Rest. Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort.
- Ice. Use an ice pack or ice slush bath immediately for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat every two to three hours while you’re awake. …
- Compression. To help stop swelling, compress the ankle with an elastic bandage until the swelling stops. …
Do ankle sprains ever fully heal?
While you might be able to walk on your sprained ankle, it will never completely heal if keep putting pressure on your ligaments. In addition to the usual symptoms, there may also be a bone bruise of a bone chip. Bone damage could take six to twelve weeks to heal, while ligament damage could take three to six months.
Is it OK to walk on a sprained ankle?
Do not walk on a sprained ankle. The inflamed tissue needs time to heal, and walking on it too soon may cause more damage. Ankle sprains are common musculoskeletal injuries that can occur from playing sports or from everyday activities.
Can a sprained ankle heal in 2 days?
After 2 to 3 days
protocol, a mild sprain will be mostly healed and ready for you to resume normal activity. A moderate or severe sprain may require you to keep up these treatment steps for longer—up to several weeks.
Is my ankle sprained or twisted?
A sprained ankle is similar to a twisted ankle but to a greater degree. When you sprain your ankle, it means you have stretched, and possibly even torn, the ligaments of your ankle. If your ankle is swollen, bruised and painful after you twist it, then you have most likely sprained it.
How long does a rolled ankle take to heal?
The recovery time for a sprained ankle varies depending on the severity of your injury. It may take anywhere from two weeks to heal a minor sprain and anywhere from six to 12 weeks to heal a severe sprain.
What is the fastest way to heal a sprained ankle?
- Rest. Resting the ankle is key for healing, and wearing a brace can help stabilize the injured area. …
- Ice. Using an ice pack may reduce blood flow to the injury and help ease pain and swelling. …
- Compression. Compression helps stabilize the injured joint and may reduce swelling. …
Should I wrap a sprained ankle overnight?
Ice is best, especially for the first 48 hours after injury. Compression — Wrapping a stretchable elastic bandage around your foot and ankle can help minimize swelling after injury. If you’re going to wrap your ankle, it is best to put the bandage on first thing in the morning, and then take it off at bedtime.
How do I know if I tore a ligament in my ankle?
If you have torn your ankle ligament, symptoms include:
- Swelling around your ankle joint.
- A feeling of instability.
- Bruising – sometimes up your lower leg and into your foot.
- Tenderness to touch.
- Pain when putting weight on your ankle.
- Popping sound at the time of injury.
Can a sprained ankle heal in 3 days?
Most ankle sprains are mild and only need ice and elevation. Mild sprains typically begin to feel better in a few days to a week and heal by six weeks. More severe ankle sprains could take more than a few weeks or months to fully recover.
Should a sprained ankle still be swollen after a week?
This level of sprain shouldn’t result in any instability or muscle weakness but can cause minor swelling. Grade 1 sprained ankle recovery time is anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, normally closer to the two-week mark with proper treatment.